Friday, January 10, 2014

Book Review: Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast

30183Marked is the first of 12 (so far the 12th coming out October 2014) books to this fast read of a series starring Zoey redbird as human turned vampire fledgling. The beginning of the book we see the normal everyday life of Zoey until she is marked with the outline of a crescent moon. This mark forces her to leave school and everything familiar behind to join the House of Night school where she was develop her fledgling ability as a vampire, though it will takes years, at any time a person’s body could begin to reject the turn and within hours they are dead. Supposedly…

Joining House of Night isn’t so bad. Zoey is quick to make friends, loves most of her unusual classes, and finds an odd sense of belonging there, but what she doesn’t understand is why she was hand selected as the ‘eyes and ears’ by the Goddess of Night, Nyx, herself, in a vision that she shares with no one, not even the High Priestess.

As you follow along with Zoey you are pulled into the world of vampires, magic, and the unknown. It was a good read and I give it four out of five stars.

As much as I loved this book and the thought out details in every aspect to the world: the influences of Wiccan, pagan, and Cherokee (which is in my blood), the controversy between the People of the Faith and Vampires, and a school that I would really love to be a part of, I was a little taken aback by the amount of swear words and sexual content. I’m normally not bothered at all by such things, but remembering that this is a YA I think some people will be surprised by the amount that’s present. Not to mention after the tenth pop culture reference I was getting a little tired of it, but it doesn’t take away from the plot of the story. It helps sets you into the teenage mind of their world.
All in all, it was a great read and I have to say I have become a fan. I will defiantly have to continue reading and review each book until the very last page!

-Brenda Franklin, author of the Pulse Trilogy and Guardian, A Fated Pairing.


No comments:

Post a Comment