Friday, April 18, 2014

Excerpt: The Middle-Lands

Title: The Middle-Lands
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Author: Brenda Franklin
Release Date: Coming Soon

-----Blurb:-----
Twenty one year old Evelyn Gardener dropped out of high school in the tenth grade, received her GED a year later, has worked from one dead end job to the next since she was fifteen, and was kicked out of her step mother’s house yesterday.
She has no home, no family, no friend good enough to take her in, and barely enough money to get her anywhere, but she isn’t at a total loss. She Marcus, a spirit from the ___, and he isn’t about to let Eve fend for herself when things get ugly.
Now, with her ghostly companion at her side she has to not only survive the living, but now the dead as Floaters-gruesome evil spirits - seem to be taking more of an interest in her, but that’s not the only person whose eye has been caught by her.
A mysterious man seems to be following Eve. When confronted, things get even more complicated and she is given an offer that will change her life permanently.
Join Eve as she passes from one world to the next in the first installment in the Middle-Lands series.

-----Excerpt:-----

“You seem to be handling the impossible very well,” Aiden added lowering his hand.
“I don’t know if you’ve noticed it yet, but impossible is within my range of possibilities. I’ve always known…no,” she breathed. “I’ve always hoped that there were others. I just… I’m very happy to find another person different.” She hesitated nibbling on her lip. “Are there any others?”
“Lots,” he answered.
“Where?”
“All over, but mostly not here.”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean they...” he made a face and paused. Whatever he was going to say drifted off for a minute. “This isn’t my job normally,” he remarked.
“What isn’t?” Eve asked.
“This.” Aiden gestured towards her. “Telling someone, who isn’t familiar about the other realms, about them.”
“That doesn’t make sense.”
“I know. But like I said, this isn’t my job normally.”
“What is your job?”
“I’m a Soul Collector.”
“What is that?”
“I hunt and collect the souls of demons, evil spirits, dark spirits, conjured black souls, and among others things on the darker spectrum.”
Eve nodded. He sounded crazy, but if she hadn’t of witnessed him attacking the Floaters earlier all of this would have been harder to swallow. “And earlier when you stabbed the Floater?”
“I sent him back into the Earth to rest.”
“So colorful lights was?”
“Its soul being taken apart and sent away.”
“Right…”
Eve nodded looking to Marcus who was now all but wall paper in the background listening in closely to all that Aiden had to say.
“How bad has the spirit encounters been?” Aiden asked.
“Getting worse by the hour,” Marcus responded.
“It’s not bad…” she mumbled.
“You are being chased by a Demon and lots of Spirits, I think that counts as bad,” Marcus laughed humorlessly.
“You feel like a magnet.” Aiden said waving his hand over her.
She slapped it away. “Well, I’m not.”
“I beg to differ.”
“What do you mean?” she raised a brow.
“I think it’s you drawing the spirits in. I think something about you is pulling them closer. But what?” He examined her with wonder. Eve felt a pin of uneasiness.
“I don’t know,” she muttered averting her eyes. She locked her fingers together.
“Who are you parents?” he asked.
“Barbra Moore is my step mom.”
“Your real mom and your dad. Who were they?” Aiden demanded as though their names would give all the answers they required.
“I don’t know the name of my real mom, but my dad was Alfred Bradner.” Aiden thought about the names. Neither of which sounded familiar, but he wasn’t an expert in genealogy either. Hundreds of family lines held spiritual power, he couldn’t have them all memorized.
“You’re abilities. How long have you had them?”
“Since I think I was about 12 ish maybe a little before.”
“What does your abilities consist of?”
“Um….” Eve thought about it and looked to Marcus. She was becoming more and more nervous. she shoouldn’t be saying anything. she didn’t know him. She didn’t anything about people with his abilities. Was he bad. Could she trust him? “I can see spirits and touch them.” She whispered.
“She can do more than that.” Marcus said.
“I saw. You can do a spiritual transference. I don’t know of a person that can do that.”
“Great…But you can see Marcus!”
“Seeing and doing what you can do is two different things. My job requires the ability to see. It was a gift handed down through my blood line, as most gifts are.”
“Well, my parents were normal! Nothing special!” she raised her voice. “I was just born this way. It’s a coincidence.”
Aiden lowered his eyes across her. “There are no such things as conveniences.” He spoke looking back to Marcus and then to the door. “I need to go.”
“Go?” Eve got to her feet. “Go where?” She asked.
“I need to find a Watcher.” He sighed gruffly dismissing the distress in her voice.
“Why?”
“Because this isn’t my--”
“Not you job! I got that part!” She snapped. “But who is a watcher and why do I need to see them? Why can’t you help me?” The desperation in her voice was painful to hear.
Aiden placed a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes were tired, her voice tight and worried. He was doing the only thing he knew he could do, get help.
“This person, the watcher. They will be qualified to give you the answers you want as well as decide your fate.”
“My fate,” she pulled away quickly. Marcus easing up beside her.
“Sometimes people from certain worlds just don’t belong and in some cases Watchers will step in and give them a way out. It’s like getting a pass to ride a very special train.”
“And where does this train take those people?”

Aiden smiled. “To another world.”


I hope you enjoyed this tiny piece of my newest work and are looking forward to reading it. Right now I can't give an exact release date as I am still tweaking my first book, but I hope that I'll be able to say for certain in May when it will be coming out. I can't wait!


Book 1: A Steady Pulse
Book 2: Barely Beating
---------------------------------------

Brenda Franklin

Purchase my products from the links below
The Pulse Trilogy
(Paranormal Romance Trilogy)
A Steady Pulse AmazonSmashwords, and Barnes and Noble
Barely Beating AmazonSmashwords, and Barnes and Noble
Flat Line AmazonSmashwords, and Barnes and Noble




Book 3: Flat Line
Guardian, a Fated Pairing
Guardian, A Fated Pairing
(Paranormal Romance)
AmazonSmashwords, and Barnes and Noble

More to come:
The Middle-Lands
A Young Adult Fantasy series

No comments:

Post a Comment